Friday, September 11, 2015

Please Grant this Rant

By: Ty Stelting
Sorry regular readers, I have been meaning to write a post for a few days now but here it is; I am now writing one. I would like to say thank you for all the people who do read our stuff and share it. You are what keep me going. So Kelsie and I have been in Nashville for a month and about a week now and I have been desperately needing out of this crazy city ever since…Okay not desperately, but it would be nice to get away from the insanity, because I am slowly becoming a part of it.

We went to a lake (see the pictures below again, in the last post) and the views were amazing and then we went swimming in Cooks Recreational area and that was very busy, but fun. It was a part of the same lake but on the opposite side. It took us about 30 minutes to get there and we had to pay $4 but it was worth it seeing all the kids have fun and soaking some good ol’ vitamin D.
In speaking of pictures, I would like to commend Kelsie in the fact that she has been trying so hard to get her business going, Reminisce. She has made flyers, business cards, releases, and products. She has done photography segments for free on the streets to get some practice. She will be successful the second she gets the opportunity because she truly tries as hard as she can. Here are the pictures she took:




It rained here all day which made my plan to stay lively or get some exercise even harder. I managed to fill out the 20th job application I have filled out and don’t even get me started on how much time Kelsie has spent on hers. We keep getting interviews but no success and it has really hurt since college was supposed to set you up and give you the relief of, “you have nothing to worry about for your career now!” However, they leave out the part that says “if you already had it lined up before you leave.”

When you come to a new town you basically lose all of your connections and must start over. You still have references but they hardly ever get called. You have nothing but your experiences and I don’t think people can fully appreciate the things we did because they may not fully understand the entire program entailed or “a trip to Washington D.C.” doesn’t sound like a stretch anymore. Kansas standards are not lower but they are different and that perspective to employers gets lost in translation.

We are doing okay though, and we still have interviews and we will make it through. I mean the Prague Blog was full of stories where we faced very difficult times where we slept in an airport or had very tiny amenities. We got lost all the time, missed buses, and waited forever in places. Being lost in Nashville is now not so common for me. I feel as if I can find my way around most places now. It is getting easier to live here.

My classes are great but they have been very difficult, especially tax. The law and stuff is very difficult to follow sometimes. I can’t wait to start auditing and assurance but that is enough about my boring accounting.

I would also like to take a moment to say that we have been a part of a great church and I hope that if someone gets to visit us we can show them how nice it is. They are very involved in the community and I believe they are the most traditional Catholic Church I have ever been to.
 Our time here will improve my driving skills and patience on the road. I hope to get an internship here in the spring because the pay is great and the firms are very sizable. I hope that we do get more out of this experience and I know we won’t know what we really got out of Nashville until we move away from here. I love my wife and dog and as long as I have them, then I can be happy just about anywhere. I feel truly blessed for all that we have.

I hope to be writing more in the future about more activities, we will be heading home in a week. It will be great to get home, I just wish it was under different conditions. I would like to dedicate this post to Margaret Hoss, a wonderful person and dear friend in my life. I love her dearly as she made it apparent what the definition of down-to-Earth was and she was one of the most helpful people I know. She always had great stories and somehow remembered everything except how to pronounce my last name. J She truly made an impact on my life and anyone else that had the pleasure to meet her.


Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed this 1 month long rant condensed into one blog post.  

No comments:

Post a Comment