Sunday, September 7, 2014

Lessons Learned

I used to be one of those people that didn't like going to church, not because I didn't have faith, but I didn't like going. In my opinion, Smalltown, USA is a difficult place to be part of a church going community. Everyone knows those people that go to church just for show, and it's hard not to become that way in a small town for several reasons, the biggest reason being this: your peers know whether or not you're going to church every weekend. Also, while there's a great many churches in different denominations, there might be only one Catholic church, or one Baptist church, and while faith is about a relationship and not a religion, the teachings among different religions vary pretty greatly despite being based on the same book.

So, a while ago, Ty and I went "church shopping." We went to some great churches, and we went to some scary churches. (Imagine being verbally bullied into tithing, or seeing the preacher sing into a television screen in an empty room.) Finally we decided on two that we really like, and they are Catholic churches: St. Isidore's, and St. Thomas More. We go to either one depending on what mass time we can make it to. We fit in well at St. Thomas More because it's geared more toward family where St. Isidore's is mainly student based.

Today, we heard an interesting sermon at St. Thomas More. Our deacon spoke about what to do when you see someone doing something you know is wrong.  My first thought was, "I can barely keep myself in check, and now I have to watch out for others?" And then, "How am I supposed to go to my friends and tell them they're doing something wrong?" And then, "How do I not be a hypocrite?"

Well, here's my interpretation. We're all sinners. We all mess up. Frequently. But, some of us are better in some areas than others. For example, Ty is much better at patience than I am, that doesn't mean he has it all figured out, but it does mean that he can keep me in check with my patience. Actually, I welcome this. I know it will be really difficult to accept the criticisms constructively, but I hope to find a way.

It's a lot to think about for me, and I'm really nervous to apply this in my life because it's such a difficult concept. One day at a time, I will work to master this and other things we are taught to do. Will I ever be perfect? No. Will I ever stop trying? No.

No comments:

Post a Comment