Sunday, September 14, 2014

Do as I say, not as I do.

"Do as I say, not as I do."
This sentence sounds so ridiculous, but how many times have you seen it in action? It's the type of phrase that people never admit to, but instead proclaim loudly without words in their day to day lives.

In parents: "Don't drink." "Don't do drugs." "Pick up after yourself." "Don't bully other kids."
In churches: "Don't judge others." "Love everyone." "Don't have premarital sex."
In teachers: "Do your homework on time, so I can give it back to you a week later than I said I would."
In bosses: "Come to work on time." "Work hard." "Don't get on Facebook at work."

It seems like every turn we get to, we're being told one thing, and shown another thing. This has left me, and I'm sure a multitude of other people wondering what to do in life. What adults should I model myself after? What members of the congregation should I model myself after? What teachers should I really revere and respect? Surely not everything I'm being told/shown to do is correct. How is a child or teenager or even young adult supposed to sift through all of these examples and decipher what type of life they should lead?

I'm challenging myself, and those around me to lead authentic lives, because people are watching whether you know it or not. Your peers in class, colleagues at work, your children or grandchildren, your employees, the children of others in grocery stores, your employees, everywhere there are people, you are being noticed!

Much easier said than done.

How easy is it to give into our vices at a difficult hour? Hard day at work? Drink a beer, right before telling your child not to go out and drink at a party. Frustrated with a lack of productivity in employees? Ask them to work harder right before going into your office for hours without interacting or working with them.

But, I also count on the examples of those around me to help lead myself and my future children. Someday--far in the future--my children will begin dating. They won't just model themselves after Ty and I, they will model themselves after the interactions of young couples in their schools. I hope the other young couples can help set a good, wholesome standard for them to live up to. I, personally, like to see older married couples still living a good life, so I can know what to look forward to or work towards in the future. (Our grandparents have done a wonderful job of this!)

This is a call to action, not words. Instead of posting to your friends on Facebook, find a cause and work, so others can see you in your quest and become interested. Be the man or woman you want your children to become and treat others in the way you expect to be treated. To quote Ghandi for about the millionth time: "Be the change you wish to see in the world."


No comments:

Post a Comment