Saturday, October 17, 2015

On the job training

I've been working full time now for two weeks... and I've learned a lot... about life.

In the first few days, I was trained how to look at letters and decide which department should receive them. I learned about all of the perks of working for a big company (free coffee, nacho cheese, and slushies to name a few). My supervisor taught me how to properly enter private information into the computer system, and has me entering at least 450 records a day. I learned how to send mail back to people who didn't fill out the forms correctly, how to use one of the four printers in the office, and how to properly file documents so my coworkers can scan them. I realized that my reputation/name to the higher-ups is "that-girl-who-can-type-90-words-per-minute". I learned that I am but one cog in a giant machine. I realized that there are also plenty of things I'm still trying to learn.

Like how I'm important to the company. Or what our mission is as a company. Or whether I'm saving the world, like I had been my aspirations as an undergraduate. Or how people can do what I do 40 hours a week for 5+ years.

Don't get me wrong, I am beyond grateful to have a job, and if I didn't have a job right now, I would probably be spiraling down the depressing staircase of self-pity and boredom. My supervisors are kind to me, answer my questions, and one even told me that she and the other supervisors were impressed with my work ethic, which made me smile.

However, working in a cubicle, by myself, not having any contact with another human being, or being able to see the sky, is very difficult. Hence, the other lesson: I learned how to make my work bearable, if not enjoyable. For eight hours a day, while I sit in my 8x8 cubicle decorated with pictures of my husband, cattle, and flowers, I listen to podcasts and TED talks.

By hearing their stories, I learn 1000 lessons, live a 1000 incredible lives, all while working and making money. I've listened to several that have changed my outlook on the future... but let me explain.

I had started to wonder if all people just work jobs so they can get their 40 hours in, pay for their nice house, and watch some TV with actual satellite at night. I wondered if maybe I was expecting too much from my life, and if my high expectations would ultimately lead me to disappointment. And then I listened to this guy...

This guy who said, what's the point? This guy who said, why do what other people expect of you? Why work a job you hate so you can MAYBE get a job you like? Why not do what you would do even if you weren't getting paid, and make that a job? Why not follow your passions? Why not put in all the hard work and face all the challenges, just so you can MAYBE get that job you love?

And I listened to another guy...

Another guy, who said, "Do you think the people who climbed Everest did it to be happy? Their stories are full of frostbite, pain, fear, difficulty breathing. If they were searching for happiness, they wouldn't ever do it again, but they do. They do it over and over again."

So then maybe what I'm looking for is the perfect cocktail--a blend of strife, accomplishment, passion, and curiosity. Luckily, I'm living with someone who has found it... in accounting of all things. Ty had it figured out when he was 6 that he wanted to an accountant. I'm a little slow because I'm 21 and just now realizing/accepting it.

What's the point of this rambling? I guess it's kind of a three part announcement. So here goes.

1) I get free nacho cheese at work, in yo face!
2) Ty is working toward his passions, and has an internship this Spring to help him get there.
3) Come this Winter, I'm going to start writing a book. It will be non-fiction, and fabulous. (One of my favorite words. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment