Friday, August 29, 2014

While you were sleeping...

Today was a hard day in the world of Kelsie and Crossfit. This weekend we are going to visit Ty's grandparents, and want to leave as soon as possible after school because it's over a five hour drive. So what do we do? Morning Crossfit... At  5:30... When it's still dark outside.

Motivation is pretty tough to come by, especially at a time when even the sun is sleeping. We're somewhat lucky that we have a monetary investment in this as well, but that doesn't mean that when I see the Rx workout on the board my first instinct isn't to jump in the car, floor it to Sonic and have a milkshake. (Trust me, I've considered it a few times.) But, I fought the urge and stayed. As you can imagine the 5:30-ers are some of the fittest people at Crossfit 785. The women are strong with toned bodies, and the men throw hundreds of pounds over their heads with ease. So, now you can imagine me with morning breath, frizzy hair, and "cushion for the pushin'" dragging myself to the gym. I'll be honest, it was hard to keep my confidence up.

Sadly, I haven't discovered the secret about how to feel secure in your own body when standing next to the Kansan version of Adonis, or when your husband is cranking out pull-ups like I can lift a spoon to my mouth. But, this morning, instead of focusing on the way the others ran fast, or the SIX MONTHS PREGNANT woman was doing box jumps, I thought about myself. I thanked God for my legs that are able to run no matter how slow I go, I thanked Him for giving me arms that are strong enough to lift dumbbells and kettle bells, and I thanked Him for the opportunity to get in the best shape of my life, no matter how long it takes.

At the end of the day, I'm the only Kelsie Stelting in the world. That doesn't make me better or worse than anyone else, it just makes me human. Like any human I have strengths and I have weaknesses. For every success, I probably have about five failures, but that's okay, because I am Kelsie whether I weigh 110 or 310, or whether I can do 1 or 100 pull-ups. Part of what makes me Kelsie is the fact that I won't give up, and that's all that matters when I go to the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment