Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A day in the life of Papì

To quote my wonderful albeit blunt Grandma Hoss, "Why did you get a dog?"

When I see my dogbaby, Papì, the answer is clear. If you're not my Facebook friend and haven't been besieged with pictures of my puppy love, here's my baby.
I'm not biased, and that is the CUTEST puppy I've ever seen. If you disagree, you're crazy and have no taste.

Having a dog has been crazy. I always expected to have something to cuddle, play with, and to motivate me to go on early morning walks. I mentally glossed over the potty training and throw up stage. I never expected my dog to behave like a cat, but with Ty as a co-parent I shouldn't be surprised.

Papì is one of the smartest puppies I've ever met. He learned his name and is picking up on fetch (minus the whole returning the toy part) really quickly. After he poopi's (haaa poop euphemisms at their finest) he runs up to me or Ty for a treat. He knows when he's in trouble to run away like a bat out of hell. Slowly, he's learning the ropes of the Stelting household.

Every night, he runs around the house faster than the speed of sound for at least twenty minutes. He finds every crevice and every small place to dart in and out of, his abnormally large ears tucked back to cut down on wind resistance. I'm glad we have carpet, because it would just be sad to see him skitter around on linoleum. When he's finally worn himself out, he winds between our legs a couple of times and plops down with a toy.

On the too likely chance that he does something wrong and I bend over to yell at him, he looks up at me, then rolls over on his back with his belly exposed for a scratch. By the end of the night the tally is typically Papì 1, Kelsie 0.

Papì also has developed a strong aversion to bathing. If he was in class... And a human, he would be the stinky kid in class.
This is Ty and our poor, mistreated puppy. Don't tell PETA, they might put him in a commercial and then his head would get wayyyyy too big.

After the bath, Papì tremors for an hour. He uses his cute powers unfairly! 

Despite all of our challenges, Papì has been a great dog addition to our family. We love our stinky, crazy, Poopi, cuddly catdog/gremlin to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment